Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ice Storm 2009...continued...


I've heard it said that bad times or a crisis will bring out the best and the worst in people, the last few days I have seen both. I watched neighbors help each other out even when they themselves didn't have the means but shared what little they had with those around them. I have also witnessed people with extras hoard their abundance.



There were some 40,000 plus people here that were without power during the worst part of the storm. In my area the power went out at 5:30am Wednesday morning and did not return until Friday evening.For others, it may be a couple of weeks before power is restored and in that respect I feel fortunate. There were many who sought shelter with family, friends or the comforts of a hotel. But it was those who stayed behind, like myself and chose to weather the storm that gave me a refreshing sense into our own humanity. I have lived here several years and like those around me give a nod of the head or a smile as I pass a neighbor on to my next destination without much thought. But without the modern conveniences of life I was witness to the most basics of life....interactions with those around us. No, I do not have any tales of heroism just the simple things....a hot cup of coffee shared, shoveling the walkway of the person next door, cleaning the ice and snow off a neighbors car, bringing a hot meal to someone who was without heat or just a knock on the door to make sure all was well.However, and not surprising, as the power was slowly restored we enter back into our own little worlds as we close the doors to the outside. The next time we pass we give nod of the head or simply a smile as we hurry on to our next destination.

2 comments:

  1. Those small acts of kindness mean so much, I'm sure they will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in a pocket of about 5 houses who were without power for 13 days while our other neighbors power was restored within 5 days not one of those neighbors checked in on any of us who were still without. We lost power before 4pm on Tuesday and it was eerie listening to large tree branches falling all night long and when the storm was finally over the sound of silence without the noises of everyday life left me feeling peaceful and content. We still have a lot of damage from the ice storm that needs to be cleaned up but those 13 days are a reminder that we need to slow down long enough to view life from a much calmer perspective.

    ReplyDelete