Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Storm 2009

It wasn't long ago that I was wanting some snow, well I finally got it, the only problem was that we received lots and lots of ice before the snow arrived. I guess it is true, be careful what you ask for because you just might get it. The freezing rain and sleet started in early Tuesday morning and by 5:30am Wednesday morning the power had gone out. I had already been informed that the shop would be closed for the day, so at daybreak I headed outside to shovel the sidewalks and driveway here at the apartment building. As the rain was coming down and then freezing on contact I realized I was going to have to take a different approach because I was getting soaking wet.So I headed upstairs to my apartment to see what I could find to stay dry while working outside. The best I could come up with was garbage bags...LOL.While it wouldn't win me any awards for best dressed it did prove to be very effective. It also proved to be very challenging to try and remove ice that is securely attached to pavement....But with no electricity and no heat what else was there to do so I took up that challenge and after several hours realized I had lost but I continued on. Around noon it changed to all snow, just what I wanted and to be honest I was content with it even with all the ice that came along with it. There just something about it, the flakes of snow gently floating to the ground in silence..... it brings a sense of calm to my restless spirit.

2 comments:

  1. Love the garbage bag...I remember you talking about that...LOL The ice storm is something I will never ever forget! Snow does have a calming effect,I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smile every time I see the pictures of you wrapped up in garbage bags. It's something I'd never thought about doing. Bet those garbage bags where getting pretty dang heavy from the weight of the ice coming down.

    ReplyDelete